Sunday, November 17, 2013

Steeple Church - Work in Progress - Day 2 - Walls


Since last April when we moved to a new house, my workshop is located in the garage that makes it so uncomfortable for me to work - I like comfort. It is more unpleasant to work now, when it is so cold outside and the door of the garage preferably should be opened. So, last Friday, when I cut the main parts for the Church, spending just a couple of hours in the garage, I got cold.

No, seriously? How ridiculous is that? Cold knocked me down not just for the rest of the day, but for the whole Saturday as well. Somewhere in a midday, when I finally understood that I will not get rid off horrible headache, weakness and dizziness on my own just "meditating" and building plans on how I want to finish the walls of the church, I finally took a decision to take medicine. I stuffed myself with horribly tasted liquids and fell asleep. I woke up Sunday morning feeling much better and ready to work.

So, in spite of the fact that Saturday was wasted, I managed to finish the inside walls of the church.

The inside walls of the tower will simulate the wood finish. I use the birch plywood for the project and want to cut the lines simulating the planks of the wood. I took the walls and marked each 0.5" on them.


First I decided to cut the lines using my big saw,


but after trying to cut one line on the waste board, I understood it is out of the scale, the groove is too big...


Yes, I had to use a little table saw, hoping the pieces of the walls are not too big for it...


It worked pretty well, and I liked the result


I stained all 3 walls with Red Oak stain,


and did the same with the roof


I also applied some paper clay on the walls of the hall and they are drying now.

I put a base for the church together,


the walls look like this now.


You've noticed a piece of wood on the base. This is a back panel for the top of the tower. The stained side will go inside.

While I am waiting for the paper clay to dry, I probably will go to stitch.

Happy Monday!

Natalia


8 comments:

Josje said...

Too bad your workshop is so cold and you became ill. Is there any way you can put up some insulation so it will be more comfortable to work in this winter?
You did get a lot of work done. Looks groovy!;-)

Natalia's Fine Needlework said...

Hi Josje, we are planning to do some renovation to the house including building an addition to the house that will be my workshop. For now I will be adjusting space in the garage, :))) Hugs, Natalia

afairytalecometruewyrna said...

I see you have lots of special tools, it is also good to work in a garage with these things. Can you not use a moving heater, put some loose panels up so you not have to be sicker. Winter's only just started or what?
Hugs
Wyrna

Dorien Litjes said...

Dear Natalia,
I;m sorry to read you became ill. What a great idea to make grooves.
Hugs Dorien

BiWuBär said...

Sorry to hear about your cold - hope you're feeling much better now. I always envy you about your woodworking skills... this is really interesting to watch!

Hugs
Birgit

The grandmommy said...

Run a line of electricity for a heater! Glad you are feeling better. The church is really coming along well.

Isabel Ruiz said...

Me encanta como queda esa pared.

elizabeth s said...

Hello Natalia! I am sorry to hear of your illness over the weekend but I am happy that you are now back on your feet again. I have not only a garage but a house that is like a icebox. Too many old school windows! But back on topic, I am really enjoying the way the walls are looking! Keep up the great work! :))

elizabeth

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...